Western NY Canoe and Kayak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western NY Canoe and Kayak

A forum for anyone from western NY who is interested in everything paddle.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Time to paddle!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lancehunter

Time to paddle! Empty
PostSubject: Time to paddle!   Time to paddle! EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Its finally here! The streams and rivers are open and flowing well. I'll be on Cattaraugus Creek in Zoar Valley this weekend and it should be great! The "Catt" offers it all like big whitewater and waterfalls along with golden and bald eagles. Letchworth opens at the beginning of April so let me know if you'd like to try it. Both trips are available to raft through Adventure Calls outfitters. Larry
Back to top Go down
Ray
Admin
Ray

Time to paddle! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time to paddle!   Time to paddle! EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Still kind of scared to try white water. Some day I will get into it though. Are there any places on the cat that are slower for not so white water paddles?
Back to top Go down
lancehunter

Time to paddle! Empty
PostSubject: the catt   Time to paddle! EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:17 pm

No, because the lower stretches through the Indian reservation are off limits right now. The upper stretch has some good rapids but is also technically difficult in some sections. I'd stick with Letchworth until you feel comfortable with whitewater. A good paddle around here might be Ganargua Creek from Norsen Park in Newark to Abbey Park in Lyons. The Swift's Landing Park in Palmyra to Norsen Park section usually is full of downfalls and numerous portages until its cleaned out for a June run by the Arcadia Chamber of Commerce.
Back to top Go down
Ray
Admin
Ray

Time to paddle! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time to paddle!   Time to paddle! EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 1:00 am

lancehunter wrote:
No, because the lower stretches through the Indian reservation are off limits right now. The upper stretch has some good rapids but is also technically difficult in some sections. I'd stick with Letchworth until you feel comfortable with whitewater. A good paddle around here might be Ganargua Creek from Norsen Park in Newark to Abbey Park in Lyons. The Swift's Landing Park in Palmyra to Norsen Park section usually is full of downfalls and numerous portages until its cleaned out for a June run by the Arcadia Chamber of Commerce.

Thank you Lance, I have been contemplating that run since last year, maybe I will go ahead and do it now. Your information is very appreciated and thank you again for posting. If you go for any paddles on calmer water let us know, I will definitely come out for that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Time to paddle! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time to paddle!   Time to paddle! Empty

Back to top Go down

Time to paddle!
Page 1 of 1