Western NY Canoe and Kayak

A forum for anyone from western NY who is interested in everything paddle.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hi I'm Bill

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
2mnyboats

PostSubject: Hi I'm Bill   Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:51 pm

Hello everyone my name is Bill. Just found the WNCK site and thought I should register. Haven't been on the water much in the past 2 years due to some family commitments. Hopefully things will change this summer. I have a garage with what some may say have too many boats in it. ( A bunch of kayaks and 1 Louis Picard wood canvas canoe) I suspect you folks would never say that's 2mnyboats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ray
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hi I'm Bill   Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Wow I would love to see the canvas canoe. Where are your favorite spots to paddle? I'm in the Rochester area if you ever want to come out and paddle. Thank you for posting and you can never have too many boats!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
upstatedeadhead3

PostSubject: Re: Hi I'm Bill   Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 am

Welcome Bill! Good to have yah!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2mnyboats

PostSubject: Re: Hi I'm Bill   Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Ray, The wood canvass canoe I have isn't anything spectacular. Louis Picard and all his employees, form what I can tell, are native aboriginal people living near Quebec. A member of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association said the following about Picard canoes, "Not of refined construction but, nice paddling boats." Actually his nephew Christian Picard now owns the business. The family has been building canoes for over 200 years. Mine is about 45 years old and the ones they make today haven't changed much.

As far as places I like to paddle.... where do I start. The inlet to Honeoye Lake especially at dusk or dawn, Irondequoite Creek, Braddock's Bay and the creeks flowing into it, Black Creek, West Creek, the canal, Canadice Lake, East Bay and some of the state land east and west of Port Bay. The fewer motorized boats the better. I like to get off the beaten path where I see more wildlife and fewer people. I'm really not as anti social as I sound. I am sure most people reading this completely understand what I am saying. Nothing recharges your batteries like a peaceful day on the water. Paddling when there is a light warm rain is the best.

A friend of mine lives in Ontario and he just purchased a rec kayak this spring. He is new to kayaking and has been looking for a paddling partner in Wayne County. Maybe as more people discover this forum he will make some new paddling friends close to home.

Thaks to all who have given me a friendly welcome. I am sure we will meet on the water some day soon.

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beattirb
Admin

PostSubject: Hi Bill!   Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks for joining the forum, and welcome! That's quite the story to go with that canoe, I hope to see it on the water at some point! It will be nice to have few more canoes in the forum, I have a Wenonah Heron and a kayak as well. Have fun on the water!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi I'm Bill   

Back to top Go down

Hi I'm Bill
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1